

People attend the trade fair of the XXV Habano Festival at the Convention Palace in Havana, Cuba, in February 2025. This year’s event has been postponed indefinitely. File Photo by Ernesto Mastrascusa/EPA
Cuban authorities indefinitely postponed the Habano Festival, citing a severe energy crisis linked to fuel shortages. The event, considered a major international showcase for Cuba’s premium cigars, generates millions of dollars annually for the government and serves as a key source of foreign currency.
Organizers said the festival, scheduled for Feb. 23 to 27, was “postponed until further notice,” without providing a new date.
Habanos S.A., a joint venture between state-owned Cubatabaco and Iberian-British firm Altadis that exclusively distributes 27 premium Cuban cigar brands, confirmed the delay on its website.
Officials said the decision was intended to preserve “the highest standards of quality and experience,” although Cuba continues to face strict fuel rationing.
The energy crisis has intensified after Cuba stopped receiving Venezuelan oil after the the capture by the United States of Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro. The situation worsened when President Donald Trump declared an emergency regarding Cuba and announced tariffs on countries that sell oil to the island.
Several distributors already had requested a postponement because of flight cancellations and travel advisories issued by some governments. The United Kingdom, Belgium and Canada have advised against nonessential travel to Cuba, while several airlines suspended operations because of aviation fuel shortages, according to independent outlet 14ymedio.
Last year, according to the European Press Association, the Habano Festival drew some 3,300 participants from 110 countries, including collectors, business executives and cigar enthusiasts, to events held in Havana’s historic hotels and luxury venues.
One of the main attractions is the auction of exclusive humidors, decorative cigar storage cases. Cuban outlet Diario de Cuba reported that the 2025 auction reached 17.94 million euros, about $21 million, with a commemorative Behike Line humidor selling for a record 4.6 million euros, or about $5.4 million.
During the 2025 edition, officials said Habanos S.A. generated $827 million in revenue in 2024, $106 million more than the previous year, representing a 14.7% increase. Updated figures were not immediately available.
Press reports indicate Cuba’s tobacco industry also faces declining production, shortages of raw materials and limited financing. It reached only about 74% of its cigar production target in 2024.
Authorities say proceeds from the Habano Festival are directed to Cuba’s public health system, which faces growing shortages.
State newspaper Granma reported Monday that nearly 33,000 pregnant women face additional risks and constraints because of what it described as a U.S. energy blockade.
According to Cuba’s Public Health Ministry, fuel shortages have disrupted maternal and child health services, limiting access to ultrasounds, timely diagnosis of congenital conditions and other critical care.
Officials said services for newborns, minors, diabetic patients, oncology patients and those requiring surgery or emergency care have also been affected. More than 61,830 children under age 1 require specialized care during their first year of life, health authorities said.
Reduced commercial flights and higher freight costs have also complicated access to medicines and essential medical supplies, including emergency shipments needed by the national health system.